![]() |
| A Field of Canola |
- Transgenic Crop- a plant which contains the genes of another species.
- Biotechnology- the technology of studying and changing the genes of an organism.
- Genetic Modification- the changing of DNA of a plant or animal which is caused by humans.
- Ecologists- scientists who study the relationships between organisms and their surroundings.
- Canola- A plant that is in the same family as mustard. It is often sold commercially as canola oil, which is used in cooking.
![]() |
| A biotechnologist working in his lab. This form of Canola was created by biotechnologists. |
Discussion:
If this plant becomes an uncontrollable weed, some farmers may have a hard time eradicating it, and what pesticides they use to get rid of the weed could damage the farmer's crops. So in the future, I will be curious to see how this problem is taken care of. I was fascinated to find that genetically modified plants were so common. It was interesting to learn that genetically modified plants can be found in many places that are available to me, like the side of the road. Previously, I had believed that you could only find genetically modified plants in laboratories, farming fields that grow them, and grocery stores. As well, I never knew that plants and animals could evolve so fast.
Questions:
![]() |
| A bottle of canola oil. This is often used for cooking. |
- If this form of canola becomes a problem, and begins to dominate farmers fields all over the USA, then will it not evolve to become even more resistant to pesticides and other things like weather? If this were to happen, wouldn't be a big problem for farmers, so shouldn't this plant be taken care of immediately?
- Could this form of canola be used commercially for money? It seems that it could work well because it is immune to so many things.
- Article:Biello, David. "Genetically Modified Crop on the Loose and Evolving in U.S.
Midwest." Scientific American. N.p., 6 Aug. 2010. Web. 24 Sept. 2010.
<http://www.scientificamerican.com/
article.cfm?id=genetically-modified-crop>. - Images
- http://www.uscanola.com/vertical/Sites/{8A0F01BE-1FAA-43BC-8CF3-64B0CAFBE4C3}/uploads/{36513D20-5FDE-4570-A913-BE6C0463F213}.JPG
- http://images.shopping.indiatimes.com/images/product/101261_canola-bottle_pbilimage1.jpg
- http://www.freewebs.com/renata17/biotechnology.jpg



I did a similar topic; transgenic salmon. Scientists are really expanding into genetically modifying plants and animals now. That's the problem with some genetically modified plants; they can very easily become weeds and since they're so resistant, they will be a big nuisance to farmers and may even damage the crops. Interesting topic and nice blog.
ReplyDelete-Sophie
After I read your blog, I realized that there are many similarities between the GM salmon and the GM canola, that I learned about. For example, the scientists were concerned that natural salmon would begin to breed with the GM salmon, and contaminate the natural salmon's genes. This is what happened to the GM canola and now there are tons of GM canola growing in North Dakota. This worries the scientists.
ReplyDeleteThis is a fantastic topic! Monsanto is very well known for their genetically modified crops. In fact they have sued farmers for having crops with their genes in their crops even though the only way they could have gotten there was from the wind. They won the case and the farmers had to pay Monsanto for using their genes! Crazy! I think they should be held equally responsible if their genes are found in a pest crop like your article.
ReplyDeleteWhy should they be able to sue farmers for accidentally having their plants pollinated and not also be responsible when their genes get loose and cause ecological harm?
Great article!